Monday, April 12, 2010

Slash Guest Author Rec - Darkira

So here I am, guest-reccing at TwiSlash Unveiled. *looks around in wonder* Better get to the recommending because boy do I have a lot to recommend to you peoples. (At this point I want to apologize for the wonky grammar, funny terms and whatnot. You should see what my beta has to go through..;))

Lately I've read more than I've written, so it was absolutely torture to even begin to pick fics I should mention here. When I was slowly axing stuff off my list, I realized there was a pattern: Non Edward&Jasper. I know!! How shocking is that? Don't worry, you don't have to stop reading now, there's E&J on the list too.

I'm also doing this without quoting the stories or giving you the summaries. You get to go look for yourself. Instead I'm going to tell you why I like these stories and then you can get back to me to tell me if I was right or wrong...;)

On to the reviews:

Underneath by Staci-Diane603 http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5560222/1/Underneath was a story that I began to read by someone's recommendation. Boy am I glad I did. I was hesitant, because well it's a wolf/vampire-thing and all that, but there was absolutely no need to be nervous.

Not only does the chemistry between the main couple (Edward & Jacob) work like wonder, the way she portrays each of the characters is perfection to me. Say Jasper, my favorite character in the books, is an empath. There is an excellent little paragraph that describes how Jasper sees people through how they feel to him. One sentence out of the paragraph to demonstrate the wonderfulness:

“Emmett, who feels like magic, like daring and excitement and anticipation.”

The story is going on chapter 10 now and hasn't updated in a while but I remain hopeful. It's also told from third person view, but the point of views vary a lot. It might take time to get used to but it's worth it, trust me.

There are also almost no lemons so far, but I remain hopeful for that too. Though, if you've read my writing, you know I don't write lemons for the sake of having them and I certainly don't like to read them if they don't fit the story, so this shouldn't surprise you too much.

And never before did I know how big of a difference one little cut over someone's eyebrow could make in the greater scheme of things...

-xxXxx-

Next, I'm going to throw in something that is actually probably familiar to quite a few people out there.

This Mortal Life by hidingfromsomeone. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5476667/1/This_Mortal_Life Now this little thing started as an o/s for the Slash Backslash contest way back in October. I remember reading it then and it was definitely one of my favorites in the contest. When I heard it had been continued, I squealed like a little girl over a new My Little Pony (I'm old enough to have had those ponies in their first generation, I should know).

It's a story about Jacob who gets the debatable honor of being the first of the wolves to imprint on a guy. The said guy, a well-written original character named Adam Hawk, is just as lovely as Jacob is. It's not that easy to be straight and then imprint on another male, but the boys work through that and boy are you glad it works out...

Now, lately there's been some discussion about the way the author has taken the story forward, some people like it and some don't. I have to say I was never skeptical. There are so many stories stuck in the high school years that it's refreshing to see the jump to the future and how things change, even if it takes away the original 'living in the rez and hanging around with vampires'-deal.

This story is on chapter 23 now and close to the end I think. It's cute and hot and well written, just as I like my morning reading to be.

-xxXxx-

Third non-E&Jas story is The Sweetest Addiction by Maddie Grey. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5426268/1/The_Sweetest_Addiction This is another Edward&Jacob-fic, but it's a bit different I think.

In it the boys are room mates in college, Jacob is the straight jock with a girlfriend and Edward is the young gay man in love with him. Now this sounds like a cliché, right? Wrong.

What I love about this story is that it's realistic. Both of the boys are broken in their own way. Both of them try to make things work out with the tools they have but it isn't always that easy.

We also have a bunch of great side characters like Edward's twin Alice or the boys from the rez that are friends of Jacob. The most important side character is Emmett though. Seeing Em as a 'don't give a f*ck' kind of character who prefers guys is great. He also makes the dynamics between Jake and Edward more interesting, as he never hides the fact that he's interested in Edward. Emmett turns out to be the catalyst of a lot of things in this story and most of the time you don't know if you want to kiss him or kick his firm ass.

I have a feeling that there are going to be surprises in the story soon...call it a hunch from someone who has read a lot.

There are very few lemons in this one so far, considering that it has 22 published chapters, but it's all worth it. I think that this is one of the more realistic fics on what comes to the lemons. It isn't always butterflies and rainbows and unicorns when you lose your virginity, even if it's to someone you love.

-xxXxx-

Two more to go. Yes, I know, I'm a rambling bitch. It's not like I'm twisting your arm here though, is it. ;)

One of my favorite atypical stories, and finally and E&Jas-story, is Love At First Sight by TwistedforTwilight. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5742854/1/Love_At_First_Sight The story is different because you normally read these fics about guys falling for each other and then working towards having sex. This story turns the tables completely.

Jasper is a star in the gay adult entertainment. He's someone who is respected and turning towards the end of his career age-wise. His predictable life in the business is turned upside down when a newcomer, Edward, is cast with him in a scene of his latest movie called Love At First Sight.

Now, as Edward is a newbie, he of course needs guidance which leads to some very nice lemony goodness even before the shooting of the movie starts.. There's an obvious, very strong chemistry between these two from the very first time they lay eyes on each other, and they both know the other feels it too. The problem is, that there's no such thing as love in their world.

How this works out is something that's yet to be seen. The story has promise of being a long one (the author states that it will be 20-25 chapters) and we're only at the beginning of that journey. There are only five chapters up so far so we're in for a lovely ride, all puns intended. ;)

-xxXxx-

And last but in no way least, something non-slash! Yes, I know, shocking. I read canon too... Well, not really. I think I read about three canon-fics and they're all for some 'hook' that's sucked me in to the story or excellent writing. This story has both of those.

On My Own by littleclarestar http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5280545/1/On_My_Own is a story that I got familiar with when the author, Clare, bought some banners for it from me in the Fandom Gives Back-auction. Now of course I was intrigued when she told me it was set in Scotland and has Edward in a kilt...how could I not be? Come on, the Cullen brothers in kilts and with a Scottish accent? You can't get much hotter than that!

Now, I'm a Scotland-freak. That's what drew me in. What kept me going was the great quality of writing, the complex and very realistic characters and the fact that not everything is easy. In fact, this might well be one of the most realistic fics out there. It would easily stand alone as original fiction and I truly recommend it for everyone, even the other slash h00rs like myself. ;)

Without going in to great detail, I'm also completely and utterly hooked on
Lessons Learned http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5413378/1/Lessons_Learned which is my favorite fic ever,
Errors & Omissions, http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5461138/1/Errors_Omissions
Sketchbook Revelations, http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5257319/1/Sketchbook_Revelations
Learning to Live Again, http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5517670/1/Learning_to_Live_Again
Marked http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5465716/1/Marked and
Deep Dish http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5475191/1/Deep_Dish

No, I'm not naming those fics for name-dropping purposes. I actually follow all of those, squeal like a little girl who got a new Barbie (don't even let me go there...) and I strongly recommend them all to you girls and guys out there.

There, I've done it. I've guest-recced! Yay me!

Darkira over and out!

No comments: