Monday, March 14, 2011

Slash Guest Author Rec - BeautifulFigment

When Naelany asked me to write a recommendation for the blog, I immediately jumped at the chance. I couldn’t recommend just one story, though, so I thought I’d give some love to a few of the WIP’s that I drop everything to read when I get an update. There are a few that need to update RIGHT NAO, so be sure to politely hound those particular authors for an update for me, okey doke?

On with the fics…

I’m Not an Angel: rmhale
Jasper's eye is caught by the beautiful raven-haired boy across the room. In a world of music, sex and perpetual travel...is there room for anything or anyone else? When is comfortable not enough anymore?

This is one of those fics that needs to update RIGHT NAO. Yes, Ms. Hale has multiple projects she’s working on, but I’m sure y’all will agree that we all need more Rocksper and EmoTwinkward like…yesterday. This story is gritty, sexy, and oh so visual, to the point it makes you feel like a voyeur. If you haven’t read it, go now.

The Path to Absolution: rmhale
Sequel to A Kiss Before I Say Goodbye for FGB. Edward begins a path to self-discovery that will hopefully lead him back to the one he has loved all along. Edward/Jasper

Once upon a time, this gal refused to read angst. I am such a huge fan of Ms. Hale’s work, though that I had to read the original one shot for this story: A Kiss Before I say Goodbye. That story requires you to buy stock in Kleenex because it’s so heartbreaking. In the original story, Edward and Jasper had a loving relationship for several years. Edward was in the closet, however, and was all but forced to marry a girl for the sake of their parents’ business. This companion story was written to show Edward’s path to absolution. There’s a glimmer of hope for an HEA in this one, so, yes, stock up on the Kleenex, but I’m thinking you might only need to cross one set of fingers that he ends up back in Jasper’s arms.

A Tangible Dichotomy: PerfectlyPersuasive
Not everything makes sense to us at first, but sometimes, the paradoxes in life are exactly what we never knew we needed. When Jasper and Edward are thrown together, into a dorm room no less, who are they to deny the twisted logic of fate? AH/Slash.

This story is a flippin’ hoot. Edward is adorkable, Jasper is fuckhawt, and their relationship is a beautiful comedy of errors. A truly endearing story and very intelligently written. I’m sure y’all are reading it already, but if you aren’t, here’s me telling you to correct this grievous error posthaste.

Your Biggest Fan: Ofthedamned
Throughout high school, the shy and over-burdened Edward Masen threw himself into work and raising his baby sister. He's always felt lucky just to be friends with track star Jasper Cullen. Now, he doesn't know if just friends is enough. AH AU Slash.

I. Love. This. Story. So. Much. This story has humor, UST, angst, fluff…everything, basically. Each chapter leaves you aching for the next one, and you can’t help but want to wrap up Edward and hold him tight and protect him from all the bad things. Edward and Jasper are so heartachingly sweet together in this story. It’s just so perfect!

Dear Agony: Twiboy
Emmett suffered a staggering loss following a car wreck. He struggles to heal and find closure with the help of the last person that he thinks would give it. Entry for the Black Balloon Contest. AH/OOC

Here’s another angsty that I had no business starting. If you’re an angst fan, this is right up your alley. Emmett is struggling after his wife and young daughter are killed in a car crash. Each chapter is full of pain, but if you’re already reading this story, you know it’s a pain that hurts so good.

Potential: Rosmarina
Edward Cullen, journalist for the college paper, has despised jocks since high school. What happens when he's assigned to interview Emmett McCarty, a decathlon athlete who challenges Edward's every stereotype? Rate M for language, slash & graphic lemons.

I love this story for so many reasons. The obvious reason is that Edward and Emmett are scorchingly hot together. The other reasons surround the intelligent way its written. It tackles responsible journalism, coming out, being a gay athlete, and LGBTQ support groups. It reads like a non-fiction piece with some hot smexy times thrown in. If you’re not reading this, you should be. This is another story that needs to update yesterday (hint hint, Rosmarina ;) ).

Raw and Rosy Revisited: TuesdayMidnight
A collection of outtakes and extras from Raw and Rosy's Spanksper and Assward. Spank!Fic. AH/AU/OOC. Rated M. Contains mature content.

This is an awesome companion piece to Raw and Rosy. I devoured that story as it updated – it’s just SO GOOD! The outtakes and extra chapters are just as good, because if you enjoyed the original story like I did, you can’t get enough of these boys. Genius Edward and confident Jasper are absolutely perfect together. I was so sad when Raw and Rosy ended, but I’m so grateful to get these chapters in my inbox, so I can have more Spanksper. *le sigh*

Said and Done: ICMezzo
Graduate students Edward and Jasper feel the connection, but is it enough to overcome their differences? EdwardxJasper slash, human/vampire love. RATED M.

This story owns me! ICMezzo writes such an adorable comedy, and I’m in stitches with every chapter. Vampward is so awkward, but you can’t help but love him…and neither can Jasper! What’s just as awesome as the story itself are ICMezzo’s Author Notes at the end of the chapters. They’re almost like extra chapters with little bits of back story and humorous anecdotes. So, go. Read. And S&D fans will know what I mean when I say, “respect the ‘cro.”

There you have it. That’s what this slash h00r’s reading. :)

No comments: