Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tuesday's Best ~ December 8, 2009

Tuesday's are for the best slash stories we can find, and this Tuesday is no different. Well, perhaps a little, if only because I'm on my own today. Poor Whitlock's Girl has had laptop fail and is without internet until her new one arrives.

Don't worry though; I've got ya covered, darlin'!

You're all used to receiving two recommendations, so who am I to deny you two awesome stories? Okay, let's get this started, shall we?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First off, I found something really sweet the other day and wanted to share it with you. It's another one-shot, and it's short, but the glimpse it gives into the lives of the main characters is beautiful.

It's EJ_Santry's Coming Home

“I can taste our toothpaste,” I said, still smiling.

“Mmm. I taste…” he responded raising his eyebrow playfully before leaning in and thrusting his tongue deep into my mouth, leaving me breathless before surfacing, “coffee. Knowing you, I taste a Pumpkin Spice Latte.”

“Indeed, you do,” I laughed, but then pulled him close to me. “I love that you know me so well.”

I know that this isn't much, but once you read the rest, I think you'll understand that just that bit paints a picture of home. At least, it did to me.

Now, a little birdy tells me that this may be continued. I'm seriously hoping that it does, because I've fallen in love already. I'm sure most of you will, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I promised you two rec's today, right? Let's see what else I've got for you, hmm?

So there's a story that started a few weeks ago that caught my attention. And shocker of shocks... it's not a one-shot! *gasps* I know! I actually read something new that was going to continue. And boy am I glad that it's continuing! ;-) It's one of the stories I'll read as soon as I am able, preferably while I'm waking up with my coffee. Don't know why, but this story is just perfect for it - for me, at least.

The story in question? Why it's by Darkira (you remember her, don't you? from Comfort in Pain?) and it's called Brand New Start.

When an event rider and his horse go through a serious trauma, a "horse whisperer" is needed to try and get the horse back on track. But is the rider beyond any help? How about the whisperer himself?

Curious yet? No? Want a little more? Well, let's see what we can come up with, shall we?

“Mrs. Cullen, nice to meet you, Ma'am,” I said in a low and calm tone, so the mare would see that I was friends with someone she knew.

“Mr. Whitlock, call me Esme. And it is nice to see you ignored my request to meet me for lunch in favor of meeting Calla. I appreciate the dedication,” she said, shaking my hand. Her handshake was firm and friendly, just like she seemed to be.

“Call me Jasper.” Smiling, I turned to look at the mare. “She is a lovely horse,” I said looking at the mare.

Hearing Esme sigh next to me, I looked at her and saw tears in her eyes and I wondered what I said to cause them.

“Oh...it's nothing...it's just...you're the first person that's come to see her who says she is lovely, not was.” She looked at me through her long, and thick lashes. Being she was a petite woman, I towered over her.

“Anyone can see that she is just that. I can't guarantee anything, though. You need to keep that in mind.” It was best that I was upfront with her about this fact right away.

“It's allright. I have a good feeling about this. At least you're willing to try. Usually, people take one look at her body language and decide she's not going to make it. Most say we should have put her down,” she said with a sigh.

“I don't think that would have been the right thing to do,” I replied as she placed her tiny hand on my forearm.

“Thank you for coming, Jasper.” She smiled at me warmly, and I truly felt welcome.

“There's no telling how long this will take. All I'm asking for are meals and a roof over my head for now. It might take a week or it could take months; I have the time. I can try to do this but it will be on my terms. If I tell you, at any point, that I think she's out of reach of my help, I will need for you to respect that,” I said in the same quiet and courteous tone.


If you want more (and come on, you know you do, because...well, where's the rider? Who is the rider?), you'll have to go check it out for yourself. When you do, be sure to check out her outtakes, too. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, this was my first time posting recs, so hopefully I did okay ;-) If not, you have my sincere apologies. Whitlock's Girl should be back next week. *crosses fingers*

Oh! Almost forgot. I know that the contest is over, the polls have closed, and you're all anxious to find out who won. I hope that you can all be patient for just a little while longer, until WG is back again, because (being the New Kid) I'm not entirely sure what's what as far as 'procedure' goes. I promise that we will get back to you with the poll results as soon as possible, though.

Anyway, there you have it. Another Tuesday, another towel ;-) (don't blame me if you forgot, you oughtta know by now that you're likely going to need one).

Happy Holidays, y'all!

No comments: