Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday's Best 7-6-2010

Good morning, my lovelies! Hope y'all are ready for some awesome reads, because Captain Jezebel and I are here to deliver! And it appears that the good Captain and I both have offerings of first time slash authors today. Mmmm, lovely! Let's get started, shall we?

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Kisses to my fellow slash loving peeps. Captain Jezebel back again with another rec for you lovelies. Found this when checking out the Slash Backslash 2.0 contest, there were links to all the winners from the first contest and this sweet little ditty won the judges pick for best lemon.

I loved this one shot because it was the author’s first foray into writing slash and she did it with great style marking another first for herself....vamp. Out Loud by allysue08 was so interesting to read because it followed vampire Edward in the darkest time of his life, when he left the Cullens to try being a ‘normal’ vampire.  Of course we all know that Edward chose to make up for the fact that he was taking human life by choosing for his victims evil people who had done despicable things. But what would happen if Edward wasn’t the only one trying to make up for being a monster by becoming a vigilante? What if there was another vampire choosing his meals the same way? And what would happen if they crossed paths?

When a strange vampire beats Edward to his latest meal, he is taken aback by the odd musings in his mind upon seeing this beautiful creature. Edward decides to let it be and move along due to the fact that this vampire seems to have fought and won many battles....but there was something else there...something more. But when they meet up again they realize they are tracking the same men thus begins their partnership and slow friendship, and eventually they begin to see the connection and feel the emotions between them.

What was more, was I could actually feel the lust that he was giving off, whether intentionally or not. Just feeling his desire for me made me more aroused than I had ever imagined I could be.

I began unbuttoning his shirt, trying to tease him by moving slowly, when it was obvious he was not in the mood for taking his time. Though, he did ease my suspenders from my shoulders so they, like his, hung around my legs. As soon as I had finished with the last button of his shirt I felt his hands wrap around the hanging straps on either side of me and roughly pull me into him. Our solid bodies made contact, leaving no arousal to the imagination. We both groaned aloud in pleasure.

This story is so much more than just this, I mean when have Edward or Jasper ever made decisions easily? Why would it be easy for these two boys to accept that they are each others fate? Especially both being born in a time when loving someone of the same sex was never an option. I don’t want to give to much of the storyline away but I will say that after their love affair there will be need for some Kleenex, while the boys go through a bit of heartfail, but have faith slash readers , true love should always prevail ....right?

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I love the way the author incorporated so much of the canon story line weaved within hers. I know you will just love it as well, so many recognizable moments should put a smile on your face, especially how Jasper finds himself to be looking into a pair of eyes he tried to forget, and who helped him get there. Give it a read, and don’t forget to leave her some love if ya do. xoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Now, I will admit something up front. I was privy to these writings before they were posted. In fact, I begged, pleaded, attempted to bribe and coerce in order to get these published. You may know EchoesOfTwilight as the wonderful author of AU fics, such as Behind The Clouds or Marionette (yes, both non-slash). I’ve known her for a while now, and know that she’s very talented and knows how to wield her pen - especially when it comes to either AU or Darkfics. And for the longest time I’ve tried to get her to try her hand at slash, too, but she resisted. Until one day, there was a surprise in my gdocs - she’d written slash! Cue me doing a little happy dance (no, not kidding). 

It took a while, but eventually she relented and posted her slashy goodies, under Arclight. Now I need to note something else. She tells her slash stories (at least the ones to date) in drabble form, but as always she does it so well, it works. Down to the lemons, even! Trust me!

So far, she’s posted three of her slash-arcs. The first one is called Between Flight And Fancy, which is told from Edward’s point of view. He and Jasper have a chance encounter at the airport as Edward is leaving to Chicago. Nothing comes of it, but Edward is left feeling off balance because there was just something about the guy (at that point he obviously doesn’t know his name yet).

And then fate throws them together again. Just to sample, I’ll give you this:

Suddenly, I am seeing in slow-motion, but I'm not looking at the mug tumbling to shatter on the coffee shop floor. It will make a mess, and I can't bring myself to care.


Because he is here. Improbably...impossibly...but I am completely certain of the face I have seen once before in reality and countless times in my dreams.

I won’t give you more than that, since these are drabbles and all and I don’t want to give too much away. 

EchoesOfTwilight has two more arcs like this one. The second one is called Won’t You Make A Plan To Love Me? and it’s Jasper’s POV we get as he and his best friend Edward go through daily life - and love. Only they aren’t together, and Jasper desperately wants to be, but he’s afraid to tell him. The timing’s just never seemed right. 

"So, I...uh...I broke up with Mike," he says, and I drop the phone. I wonder if this means we can go back to normal. Edward and Jasper.


I realize I don't want us to. I have no idea why it was so much harder this time to see him with someone else, but I know I can't ever watch it again.


But he and Mike were together for six months; I can't tell him now.


Can they figure things out? Is there more to their friendship than Jasper believes - and wishes - there to be? Read it to find out.


And last but not least, there is Appetite. This is quite possibly my favorite one yet...but I’ll be honest and admit that I’m more than a little biased on that one, as I’m the one that gave her the setting, pairing, and prompts for it. She did an amazing job with it though, and gave me so much more than I had even dreamed of.


Jasper’s a chef in the restaurant he owns. Edward is a guest, wishing to pay his compliments. Both men are alone, but not lonely. They each sense the same ease in their solitude and develop an easy friendship. Both come with baggage. Will they be able to get past it enough to make an attempt at love again?


A small frown purses his lips. "My dinner a few weeks ago was...a family reunion of sorts. It's never easy, but your food gave us something to talk about other than..." Edward clears his throat. "It made it easier."


He doesn't elaborate further, but I understand now. There are lingering darknesses in our pasts, and perhaps it's this that makes me enjoy his company.


"I'm glad I could help," I say softly.


If you’ve never read drabbles before, or never been partial to them, I suggest you give these a chance. EchoesOfTwilight brings so much depth and feeling with so few words, it’s hard to accurately describe. Be sure to give her some love, I have high hopes we’ll be hearing more from her in the future :-)

~*~*~*~*~*~
Ah, I hope y'all remembered to bring along a towel before reading these, because you'll likely need them. Be sure to leave these lovely authors lots of love, and we'll see you again next week with more slashy goodness!

2 comments:

AllySue said...

Wow, thank you so much for this super sweet rec! :D

It made my day, haha.

<3


Have a great day!
Ally

Anonymous said...

Out Loud is a beautiful take on Edward/Jasper love.
I absolutely enjoyed the story, even though I am not big on slash, this made me a fan. I am dying to see the sequel of the story.

Suspenders, baby!