Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday's Best 9-21-2010

Good day, one and all. Hope you're all having a good one. Are you all set for today? Kleenex? Fresh panties? Towels all at the ready? Yes? Good! Then let's see what wonderful fics Aradi and Captain Jezebel have found for you today!

~*~*~*~*~*~

This week I shall behave and not have another rambling, multi-rec spew.  You’ll appreciate this, I’m sure, because we’re all up to our eyeballs in contest entries to read.  Tasty, tasty O/S as far as the browser can see....

When the Slash Backslash 2.0 winners were announced, I was happy to see many fics that I had loved (some of which I mentioned last week).  When I think back on the contest entries, I remember all these fics fondly, (pervily,) but the first one that always pops into my head wasn’t on that list of winners.

Inside by fngrcufs was the fic that found a home in a tiny, smutty corner of my brain.

Inside is Edward & Garrett (with the inescapable presence of Jasper), and it’s short even for a O/S.  In a nutshell, Jasper has thrown Edward out, and Edward has gone out and found himself a boy.

This is one of those fics that bypasses the superfluous set-up and instead drops you into the middle of the story, then drags you by a limb through the rest of the action.  Edward’s stream-of-consciousness voice is catchy and relatable, and the situation is one most of us have been in, so it takes no effort at all to go tumbling through the action with him.  

The story is so short that half the quotes I considered were either too much or too spoilery, but here’s the first paragraph (and approximately where I got addicted).

The hallway light is dim and tired and Edward leans back, his fingers wrapping around the railing behind him. Maybe if he begs, makes his puppy dog eyes and pretty boy smile, they can fuck right here and never go inside. Inside is personal, inside is home, inside is see my stuff and know my world and please come back. Or maybe inside is just inside. He's so out of practice. He doesn't know how this works anymore.

I got hooked on this fic for the style, I think, then the plot (I won’t spoiler) sealed the deal.  Inside is raw and quirky and brave and deserving of a read or a re-read.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~

*smiles brightly at the beautiful slashy fiends* Hello my lovelies, Captain Jezebel here again to share a little something I have been reading, and enjoying. To put yourself up for auction has to be one of the most nerve wracking things for an author to do. They have to be nervous to please their purchaser. Yes, I know it is for a good cause, but whether the final price be small or large, you want to please the person that spent good money for you; give them their hard earned dollars’ worth. So that being said when venis-envy threw her name into the game, all for charity, I doubted she knew that two wonderful authors would buy her and ask her to write All My Secrets.

Jasper is far away from home. He seems to be running away from all the sad and unremarkable parts of his past, which brought him to transfer from Amarillo to Seattle in his Sophomore year of college. Jasper meets Edward in his art class, along with Alice and Mike and they become fast friends. In fact he likes the feeling of ease that he fits into this group; it’s nothing like his former life, where he always felt he was pretending to be something he wasn’t to please others.

Jasper and Edward become inseparable and soon enough, Jasper realizes just how important Edward is to him. Edward is a gay man and is flirty by nature, he likes to hit on Jasper, and play around with him, but that doesn’t seem to bother Jasper at all. The problem....Jasper is straight but is conflicted with the feelings he has for Edward. He is getting jealous, possessive, and revels in the attention he gets from Edward, almost like...a boyfriend. *gasp* Could Jasper truly not know himself? Does he need to discover that he does indeed love Edward? Will Alice help him open his eyes to the possibilities?

Alice looked at me with nothing but genuine understanding shining through her dark eyes. "We can't always pick and choose what our hearts desire. Love is a powerful thing, and when it finds you, it isn't easily ignored." Alice took my hand, giving it an affectionate squeeze. "I don't think you're curious, Jasper. I think you know exactly what you want. You're just afraid to reach out and take it."

I felt my shoulders slump and my heart clench. She was right. I was more worried about what other people would think. If I ignored all possibility of condemnation from society and focused on my feelings alone, I knew what she was saying was true. All of it.

Right now the fic is 6 chapters long but the lovely author has it finished and updates pretty frequently. About once every 5 days. Please join me to discover if Jasper ever discovers himself and learns to let go. Who knows?...he may just find true love. Stop by and give it a look, and don’t forget to leave venis-envy some love if you do.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
Apropos of nothing, but I was dying to rec All My Secrets as well. Jezzie beat me to it, lucky gal ;-). I hope you enjoy both of today's offerings, however. Be sure to leave the authors some well-deserved love, and check back next week to see what goodies the good Captain and I have in store for you then. 

Have a great week, y'all!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey all three of us can rec AMS..it would be cool to get an awesome rec from three different perspective. It would give venis-envy and her story a shit load of attention that's for sure. *giggles* just a suggestion.

Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I loved Inside. It was short and sweet and emotive.

And yay for AMS getting fought over, that's classic! It's really a beautiful story :D