Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday's Best 4-10-2012

Good morning, my lovelies! I hope today finds you all happy, healthy, and safe. I know I said last week that Connie would have a rec for you today, but a tornado hit her town and while she's okay, she's had some power/internet/amenities issues. Luckily, SorceressCirce is an utter sweetheart and has kindly jumped in to help us out with a wonderful rec of her own. So this week, you'll get two guest recs. Why don't we get right down to it, I'm sure you're all just as curious as I am.


~*~*~*~*~*~

 
When naelany asked me if I’d like to do a guest rec, I jumped at the chance to do some fic-diving for my favorite under-represented character: Garrett. He’s such a fun character to work with because so little is said about him, other than that he’s an independent revolutionary. With such a blank canvas fueled by passion, he’s a great character to develop any story around.

Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

In my fic-diving, I found several fics that I enjoyed, but one stood out for its unique characterization of Garrett – not as an American revolutionary, but as the Goth King of UW.

Like Garrett, Edward is an art student at UW, but it’s clear from the beginning that he’s a little less “cool” than Garrett, the thin man dressed in black down to his kohl-lined eyes and his last name, Lenoir. While Garrett, looking bored, draws on the adoration of his ever-present crowd of three, Edward draws goblins and ogres on the chair in front of him.

Edward watches Garrett from afar, intrigued by all the ways they are different, but it is clear that he has not recognized his interest as attraction. In fact, through her subtle phrasing, Alby Mangroves reveals that young Edward has never been attracted to another man, though he doesn’t seem repulsed by the idea – just surprised that he begins to notice certain things about Garrett, like the way his jeans fit so tightly the seams pull. His confusion fuels his curiosity, which grows with every glimpse of Garrett.

Despite Edward’s observance of Garrett, their worlds never intersect – until the day Garrett asks Edward to pose for him so that he can cast him for his latest sculpture. With this invitation into Garrett’s private world, Edward finds his fascination growing, fed by appraising looks and gentle touches as Garrett casts Edward’s limbs in plaster. Saying much more would be revealing a little too much about the story, which is complete in three chapters. Instead, I will give you a tantalizing glimpse into Alby Mangroves’ sensual writing:

Edward watches hungrily as those lithe fingers catch the bottom of the dirty black tank and begin to lift, rolling the fabric over narrow waist and a broadening back.

Strength ripples, stirring muscle under the skin, adorned with a splash of tiny freckles over Garrett's shoulder blades and neck.

Having pulled the tank over his head, Garrett bundles it and uses it to wipe his wet stomach and chest.

Holding it in his fist, he braces his arms on the bench and rolls his head from side to side, stretching as short wisps of blond hair at the nape of his neck stir with the movement.

Edward can suddenly imagine his own mouth right there on Garrett's fair skin, kissing, breathing, panting. A searing flush makes his stomach clench at this erotic vision, and he's never been less confused.

He watches, transfixed by his own fantasy, as Garrett's shoulders flex and stretch over his naked, bowed back.

Edward inches closer until he's just a few feet away, close enough to chart the constellations of freckles on Garrett's shoulders.

"Are you gonna stand there all day?" Garrett says huskily and looks over his shoulder.

And then I’ll leave you with a valuable piece of advice from Edward:

Never mind being run over by a bus, Edward thinks, you must always wear nice underwear when someone's about to have their face near your dick.

~*~*~*~*~*~

We’ve all read at least one May/December story, right? Be it slash or otherwise. There’s some good stuff out there. OnTheTurningAway not only wrote a May/December story in Rub ‘til it Bleeds, but she’s addressed something I’ve never seen before in fanfic: Erectile Dysfunction.

Poor Carlisle’s no longer able to get it up, and it pains him. Not just for himself, but for his lover, the much younger Edward. There’s the fear of no longer being enough. Of Edward becoming fed up with the fact they no longer have sex the way they used to. All perfectly understandable.

So what’s a couple to do?

In this case, they decide on a very unorthodox solution. It might not be perfect, but it works for them.
"Are you saying you want to try it, Edward?" I ask.

Blushing, he nods. "I think so, but only if you do."

He looks so shy, almost exactly like he did when he asked me for coffee in his second year at the university. It's at moments like this, when he's at his most vulnerable, that I truly feel the width of our age gap. I want nothing more than to be able to take care of him, to give him the world, but at least I can give him this. I pull him onto my lap, tell him I love him and that I'll do anything for him, for us.

"We've played with other men before. It won't be all that different, will it?"

When he stiffens in my arms, I instinctively run my hands up and down his back to calm him. He hums contentedly and nuzzles his face into my neck.

"It won't be exactly the same though," he says.

What? You thought I’d give it all away? Nahhh. Wouldn’t dream of it. Go read for yourself what they end up doing. Promise you, it’s worth it.


~*~*~*~*~*~

There you have it, folks. Two great stories to sink your teeth into. Once again, thanks to SorceressCirce for helping out. We should be back to our regular schedule next week, so check back then to see what MizzDee and I have in store for you. In the mean time, be sure to leave these wonderful authors some love.

No comments: