Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday's Best 4-3-2012

Good morning, my lovelies. Wow! Can you believe it's April already? Time sure is flying away at warpspeed, isn't it? Or is that just me? Anyway, Connie and MizzDee have found a couple of stories to settle yourselves down with for a while, so take some time for yourself and enjoy!


~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello and welcome back ladies!

Two weeks ago a new story by bmango arrived in my inbox. She is one of my favorite authors and I was glad to get a new multi chapter fic from her. She is the author of great stories such us Designs, Desires and Disasters & Beyond Duty. If you haven’t read those I recommend you to check her profile.

Her new story Find Strength in Pain is Jasper and Edward and the story line is high on the angst so be warned.

Now that I am at the end, here where all unimportant things fall away, I know I must tell my story.

Our story.

What follows is the account of how, after I lost my love and my life, I found them again and found me again in the most unexpected place.
This is the story of how I met the man that performed a miracle and saved my life.

First we learn about Jasper’s story. An ex con on parole that needs a new job to complete his community service hours.

Next time I heard from Felix was three days later. "I got you a gig on Thursday, volunteering at Trinity Hospice Center."

I couldn't stop my incredulous response. "A hospice? Like old people?"

"Yeah. Old, sick people waiting to die. You got a problem with that?" There was a hard edge to Felix's voice, and I was suddenly happy we were only talking on the phone. I had a feeling his whole face matched this time.

"No. No, sir. Just wasn't expecting that."

For Jasper visiting the hospice is just a job, a way to finally get his sentence complete. Will meeting Edward change that?

"And you, Edward. How long are you visiting then?"

At that statement, he did look at me again, but this time with such anger in his eyes that I flinched. Obviously I'd said something wrong, but I had no idea what. With one last look at me and a quick kiss on Miss Celie's cheek and apology to her, he left quickly, almost running over some of the patients on his way out the door.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but what did I say?"

She sighed and patted the spot on the couch that Edward just vacated. "He's just a bit sensitive about being here is all. But nothing you can do about that."

"Well, I can understand that being around people who are ill can be unsettling. But why is he so angry?"

She patted my hand and then turned her head to the window. I noticed that Edward was now sitting outside beneath a large elm tree. A book of some sort was propped against his bent knee, and he was scribbling furiously on its pages.

"What you have to understand is that Edward isn't visiting me or anyone here." She turned her gaze to me, her dark brown eyes serious but sad. "He's a patient here, too."

"A patient? He's dying?" I asked incredulously. How could someone so young and so beautiful be that sick?

"This is not my story to tell, my dear." 

Jasper is a lot more than an ex con, is a soul trying to redeem himself.

"Aw, come on, Jazz."

"It's no trouble, just come with us."

"We've got a little job to do tonight, and you could help us."

For a moment, I thought of how simple it would be, how simple to go back to my life, to be back with Maria and the rest of my friends. Then I realized how disappointed and angry Felix would be. And I would never see Edward again, would never have the chance to talk to him.

A few things I truly enjoy about Find Strength in Pain the bits and pieces the author shares with us from Edward’s journal as they are the only time we see from his POV. Jasper is the one telling the story.

The mystery behind Edward, which is revealed little by little in each chapter.

And of course the writing absolutely flawless.

It might need a tissue warning. Honestly I’m a sucker for a good cry so it works for me.
I love this fic so much, it’s among the ones I wait for the update and run to read as soon as I get it.
Even knowing it’s going to hurt, I hope you all give it a chance and read it.

As usual, leave some love for the beautiful bmango 

I shall see you all next time, have a Happy Easter and enjoy all the chocolates ;)

Connie

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello my loves. She’s at it again and I have to say that I love it.  KellanCougar is back again with her newest o/s. Let the Rain Come Down tells a great story about finding the one thing you never knew your life was missing.

~oOo~

Jasper doesn’t live the typical life. He doesn’t work a nine to five job. He doesn’t have an apartment that would make others envious. And he doesn’t have a bank account full of money.

No. He lives every day of his life just trying to make it to the next one.

A life on the streets wasn’t what he wanted so he began trading his body for money. It was a job. One that allowed him to eat, keep clothes on his back and a roof over his head.

No. It wasn’t what he wanted his life to be but, as he stood in his spot waiting for customers to come his way, he saw a boy who was much worse off than he was.

Jasper tried to get the boy’s attention but scared him off instead. That night as he slipped into bed, he thought of that boy from the street and wondered if he was safe.

Seeing him the next day, Jasper reached out to the boy and offered him some food. Not knowing what to make of the stranger, the boy was skittish and afraid to trust him.

"Are you hungry? If you meet me here in an hour, it's when I go to the market. We can get some food."

He looked nervous, but the promise of food appeared to switch on a light in his eyes that he couldn't disguise. The boy's voice was rough, as if he hadn't used it in a while.

"You're not some weirdo, are you?" His eyes were constantly on the move, darting along the sidewalk to see if anyone else was around.

I held up my hands in a peace gesture.

"I'm no weirdo, just concerned. I've seen you around and wanted to help. It's no bother if you aren't interested. Just asking, that's all."

Before the boy could agree, the rains came and Jasper knew his work was done for the day. With his offer of food, he also offered him a place to stay for the night. It was an offer the boy simply couldn’t refuse.

Jasper learned a lot about the boy, Edward, that night, realizing that he was living the same kind of life that Jasper was able to escape and he wanted to help him in any way he could.

As the rains continued, the two shared their stories and Jasper began to feel things for Edward that he hadn’t allowed himself to feel in a long time.

I had had one relationship before I fell into this life; one brief summer romance with my friend Emmett. But his family had moved away and I was alone after that. I told myself that love was for idiots, it made you vulnerable and weak and I couldn't afford to be either if I wanted to survive. Meeting Edward made me see that I wanted to wrap my arms around him and push the world away so it couldn't hurt him anymore. It was an unfamiliar, but not entirely unwelcome, feeling. I allowed myself to nuzzle his hair as I held him, one brief moment of 'what if' before pulling away and resuming my stroking of his hair.

What if? It’s a powerful question. What if Edward was sent to Jasper for a reason? And maybe…just maybe, Jasper found him so neither one would have to be alone anymore.

~oOo~

With stories like this one, it’s no wonder why KellanCougar has quickly become one of my favorites. She writes with such emotion that you feel for every character and beg for them to have their happily ever after. If you haven’t read her work yet, I suggest you get started and Let the Rain Come Down is the perfect story to get you going. You won’t be disappointed. I wish you happy reading and don’t forget to leave my girl some love. On a personal note, for all those who celebrate, have a very happy Easter with your families. Until next time…much love to you – D


~*~*~*~*~*~

There you have it, folks. Two great stories to sink your teeth into. Check back next week to see what Connie and I have in store for you. In the mean time, be sure to leave these wonderful authors some love.

No comments: